Pages

Tuesday 25 December 2012

Wish me luck!

The more the merrier!
Can an English-speaking journalist get a job in Romania when he's not even in the country? This question has been running around my head ever since I started contemplating the move, and I just took the plunge! Yes, I just sent my CV and covering letter to one of Romania's biggest media groups, on Christmas day no less.

To soften things a little I did start with 'Stimate Domn/Doamna' and end with 'Craciun Fericit!', with the rest in English. At least they can see I'm trying, right? Unlike many Romanian websites, the one belonging to the media group I applied to at least has an English version, which proves that they are  more open-minded than the others.

That's it, isn't it? It's Christmas today, I've got no clue how I'll move to Bucharest if these guys actually DO have a job for me, but where there's a will (and a big salary) there's a way. Wish me luck, and Craciun Fericit to all of you too.

1 comment:

  1. To have some chances you must see what you have that can't be found in Romania and that to be obvious for an employer.


    I don't think that sending a CV can help anyway. Better try to make a project that could interest them and for which you to work as a manager or in other position.

    Usually, the working regime in Romanian companies is very hard, you work up to 18 or 20 PM, saturdays included, sometimes even sundays.

    The employee's rights are commonly violated and if he doesn't agree is fired and another one from the many jobless who applied is employed.

    Often, the idea is from start to not have the same employee for several years but to exploit to maximum one until he/she leaves and replace with another one.


    So, as I said in another comment, better try to look for a foreign trust working in Romania, not a Romanian company. Few are decent, if any. Esecially in television, the regime is very exhausting.

    Andrei

    ReplyDelete