Pages

Monday 21 January 2013

Life lessons from Rango

Somehow or other, this blog keeps ticking over - thank you, dear reader. I'll return the honour by continuing posting regularly here: feel free to start commenting on posts! A little bit of feedback goes a long way.

Today's Short Post Monday. No really, it's right there on your calendar, written between the reminder to take your socks to the laundry and to tune into that quaint little blog by that South African guy.

I've been re-watching Rango, which is possibly the most disturbing animated movie since Coraline. Unlike Coraline, however, Rango has some real zingers of quotes, and I have one I want to share with you:
"No man can walk out on his own story."
Cue the 'touche' snort. If you're anything like me, you've probably bumped your head into this little principle numerous times. I have this theory that all cliches have a corresponding lesson which we only appreciate when we're in exactly the right context - at any other time, we'll just shake our head and shrug off the condensed wisdom.

Any reader here might think that I've got no life in South Africa, and that anything in Romania will be better. That's not true. In fact, despite evidence to the contrary here, things are going particularly well in South Africa for me. I've recently been promoted to be the editor of not one but two magazines, and am tackling a lot of refreshing new challenges completely unrelated to basic journalism: writing proposals, events planning, stakeholder meetings, coordinating freelancers, sourcing advertising, designing brochures etc.

This doesn't mean I don't want to move to Romania. I do, and if I get the opportunity to I intend to jump at it. Right now, however, life's just not letting me walk out of this specific story. I have projects to launch and make a success of, some lessons to learn, some money to make and - most of all - some life to live.

Maybe if you're in the same space as me at the moment, even if it's centering on something else (a relationship, let's say), this post means something extra to you. You'll get to move to that next chapter smoothly when the time is right, no need to push it. And if you're not in that space? Move along, nothing to see here ... maybe you'll be luckier with my next post.

Kirk out.

No comments:

Post a Comment